Wednesday, February 8, 2012
My mom asked me to make these cookie bars. I was a little leery at first because, in general, I'm not much of an oatmeal person.
I kid you not, I could eat the cookie dough with a spoon. It was delicious. Cooked, it was even better. It was like heaven. Chewy, chocolate-y, carmel-filled heaven.
Adapted from: http://luluthebaker.blogspot.com/
64 caramel squares, unwrapped
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 (12-oz.) bag semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Melt caramels and cream together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Mix until completely smooth; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, and baking soda.
5. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13" pan.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the crust.
8. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips.
9. Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal mixture over the caramel.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
11. Cool completely before cutting. Place in the fridge, if it needs to firm up more.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.